top of page
Congregation Beth El was first chartered in 1911 and created its permanent home in 1919 in a former historic church building. A Jewish cemetery located in nearby Northumberland also belongs to the congregation, predating the actual synagogue building.
Many establishing members were merchants who came to serve the coal region along the Susquehanna River trade route. We have been operating continuously, and with a rabbi, since that time.
In 2008 we opened a new building on our original property, expanding to a neighboring lot, continuing our legacy of being the only Jewish communal space in our area.
bottom of page